What are you looking for?
Santa's Victorian Tours
29 Nov 2020 - 23 Dec 2020
15:40 - 19:40
Cardiff Castle, Castle Street, Cardiff CF10 3RBGoogle map
Following the latest changes to coronavirus regulations for heritage attractions, Cardiff Castle will be closed from Sat 5 Dec until further notice.
Unfortunately, the latest restrictions also mean that we will have to cancel all Santa’s Victorian Tours from Sat 5 Dec until at least Wed 16 Dec. Our sincere apologies for any disappointment caused, all tickets will be refunded as swiftly as possible.
Once updated guidance is provided we will make a decision about the remaining dates in December. Sessions on Tue 1 Dec and Thu 3 Dec will go ahead as planned.
We’re delighted that Father Christmas will be visiting us again but 2020 has brought a lot of changes, even for Santa. This year we will be offering special tours for single-family / bubble groups, ending in a private meeting with Santa Claus.
Your costumed guide will show you around the Castle’s lavish apartments, all beautifully decorated, as you learn about Christmas in Victorian times. After the tour, there’s a stop to meet Santa with a gift for all good boys and girls. Tasty treats will be also be handed out for you to enjoy on the way home.
The ticket includes:
- A 30 minute, personal tour around the apartments (max 12 people – 6 adults and 6 children from same household / bubble).
- A private meeting with Santa and a gift.
- Gingerbread biscuit to take home.
- Tour route will visit the Winter Smoking Room, Nursery, Banqueting Hall, Small Dining Room, Drawing Room, Library and exit via the Entrance Hall.
Please arrive 10 minutes before your allocated time slot. Note that these tours are not suitable for pushchairs or people with mobility issues.
Tickets on sale Thu, 19 November @ 10:00
|29 Nov||01 Dec||03 Dec||05 Dec|
||07 Dec||09 Dec||10 Dec
|11 Dec||13 Dec||15 Dec||16 Dec
|17 Dec||19 Dec||20 Dec
- £70 – for up to 2 adults & 2 children
- £12 – for any additional children*
- £8 – for any additional adults*
- Babies under 6 months do not require a ticket but will not receive a gift without one.
*no more than 12 guests in total on any one tour
Important Note: Should we have to cancel the event for any reason, tickets will be refunded but we will not refund the Ticket Source booking fee. We advise guests to consider choosing the Ticket Source insurance offer when booking.
- £15 – Adults why don’t you treat yourself to a gift too and pick up an award winning mini 40ml flip top bottle of Spirit with three handmade truffles in a Sloane gift bag with recipe card. These will be ready to collect in the Library after your private meeting with Santa.
- £18 – Adult package includes a 12inch homemade pizza (includes up to 2 toppings), a single gin & tonic, prosecco cocktail or a gin winter warmer.*
- £15 – Adult package includes a 12inch homemade pizza (includes up to 2 toppings), non-alcoholic winter warmer or raspberry lemonade with rose petals mocktail.*
- £9.50 – Child package includes a 7inch homemade pizza (includes up to 2 toppings) and a glass of squash and seasonal chocolates to take away.*
*One hour in a Christmas Cabin post tour. You will be allocated a Christmas Cabin for an hour after your tour. You will receive an email from us within a few days of your tickets being booked with more details on your time slot and cabin number.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
You can only book a tour for you household and extended bubble as per Welsh Government guidelines. We reserve the right to refuse entry if we do not believe this to be the case. Proof of address may be required.
- Children will not be able to sit next to Santa and will instead be asked to sit on the floor in front of him using the markers provided.
- Masks must be worn by everyone attending over the age of 11. Please remember to bring masks with you.
- A plush soft toy will be given as a gift so please ensure this is suitable for your child before booking. Each child will also receive a gingerbread cookie. Gluten free options are available.
- Please note that the house is a historic building and gaining access includes stones steps and narrow doorways. Wheelchair users and those with specific accessibility requirements should contact the castle directly before booking so that we can discuss access arrangements. Please call 02920 878 100.
- Your ticket is only valid for the time stated on your booking. Due to the busy nature of the event and coronavirus restrictions, we will be unable to accommodate you if you arrive late or for the wrong session. Please aim to arrive at least 10 minutes before your session time.
- Please ensure that you allow plenty of time to reach the Castle. There is no parking available on site and we remind you that Castle Street is closed to all public traffic.
- There will not be an official photographer present but you are welcome to take as many photos as you wish using cameras and smartphones. We regret that filming the visit is not permitted.
- Pushchairs cannot be taken inside the Victorian House but can be left on site at your own risk.
- In the event of the unexpected cancellation of a session due to adverse weather conditions, coronavirus restrictions or other unforeseen circumstances, full refunds will only be given if an alternative time or date is unavailable. If in doubt, and to avoid disappointment, we would advise you to contact the Castle on 029 2087 8100 before travelling.
When am I able to booking tickets?
- Tickets will go live at 10am on the 19th November 2020. A link to Ticketsource will be available on our website.
Am I able to phone, email the Castle or come on site to book tickets?
- No. We are unable to take bookings directly. All ticket sales need to be completed through Ticketsource. This will ensure that we are limiting face-to-face contact during the booking process.
There is an error message with my booking?
- Please contact TicketSource directly on 0333 666 44 66
Am I able to add people to my booking after I have completed my transaction?
- No. It is not possible to add people to your booking once it is completed so we ask that you plan ahead on how many tickets you are going to need for your household / bubble.
Am I able to change my booking time or date after I have completed my transaction?
- No. Due to the anticipated high level of interest and the limited amount of spaces we are unable to make changes to your booking. Therefore it is important that you ensure you selected the correct date and time during the booking process.
Can I bring people outside of my household with us on our tour?
- Yes, so long as they are part of your bubble in line with Welsh Government guidelines. We can have up to 6 adults and 6 children per tour. Please note that we reserve the right to refuse entry to groups which we feel may not be part of a bubble. We ask that you bring with you proof of address should we require evidence of the bubble. If you are refused entry no refund will be provided.
What if a member of our household / bubble has symptoms of coronavirus, a confirmed case or asked to isolate by track and trace?
- We would ask that if anyone in your household or bubble has symptoms, a confirmed case of Coronavirus, or if you have been asked to isolate by track and trace that you do not attend the tour. In this case we would ask that you email firstname.lastname@example.org and send us details of why you are unable to attend. In order to get a refund we would ask you to send us confirmation of a Covid test being booked, a positive test result or a notification from track and trace to isolate. We can then process the refund but please note that this will not include the ticket source fee. As such, we advise that you consider taking the insurance provided by Ticket Source to get a full refund.
What if the tours get cancelled?
- If, for whatever reason the Christmas tours get cancelled, either by us, the Welsh Government, adverse weather or act of God, then we will provide a refund for the amount paid EXCLUDING THE TICKET SOURCE FEE. We advise that you consider taking the insurance provided by Ticket Source to get a full refund.
Why are there limited tours this year?
- In previous years we would have several families allowed on each tour slot but due to the Coronavirus this year we are only going to allow one household/bubble per tour. Inevitably this means that our capacity has reduced and spaces will be more limited this year. We are though offering tours every other night to try and accommodate as many families as we can.
Why are the tours priced at £70
- Due to the Coronavirus we want to ensure that we keep you and your family as safe as possible. The best way to do this is to limit each tour to a family / bubble up to 6 adults and 6 children. This inevitably limits how many families we can see each night and how many tickets can be sold. We have also invested in specialist equipment to clean the rooms in between tours to help to keep everyone safe. The costs we will incur putting on tours like these are high and this is reflected in the ticket price.
Do I need to book the add-ons of gin bags and pizza when purchasing my tour tickets?
- We do ask that these are ordered during the booking process to ensure we have enough capacity. If however, you do not include these in your booking but want to add them at a later date please email us at email@example.com and we can check to see if we can accommodate you. There is no guarantee that we will be able to offer these services if you do not include them as part of your original transaction.
INFORMATION ON THE TOURS
Are the tours inside or outside?
- The Christmas tours are inside the Castle apartments and will include the Winter Smoking Room, Nursery, Banqueting Hall, Small Dining Room and the Drawing Room. In order to get to these rooms there are stairs and as such it is not suitable to pushchairs or people with mobility issues.
How long do the tours last?
- The tours and visit with Santa will last approximately 30 minutes.
I’m in a wheelchair, can I still attend?
- Unfortunately due to the nature of the building and the amount of stairs we have, this experience is not suitable for wheelchair users or people who struggle ascending and descending stairs.
I have a pushchair, can I take it with me on the tour?
- We cannot allow pushchairs within the Castle apartments and would ask that you do not bring one with you on site. If however, you feel you do need to bring a pushchair with you then it will need to be left outside of the Castle apartments at your own risk.
Are the tours suitable for babies?
- Our tours have been created to show and describe a Victorian Christmas to families. We have aimed the content to be relevant to younger children and the gift given to all children this year will be a plush toy. Babies in arms are still able to attend and for babies less than 6 months old you do not need to purchase a child ticket but please note that the baby will not then get a gift from Santa. Older children are welcome to attend and our tour guides will look to adapt the content of the tour to keep them engaged where possible.
What time should I arrive for my tour?
- When you book you will be given your tour time. This is the time your tour starts and we ask you to arrive in plenty of time to be available for this. Around 10 minutes before your tour is due to start we would need you to be heading up to the tours gallery (gate staff will be on site to advise you where this is). If you arrive late for your tour you will miss part or all of your experience. No refunds will be provided if you are late.
Do masks need to be worn on the tours?
- Yes. All people over the age of 11 will need to wear a mask whilst inside the Castle apartments. This will include your tour guides.
Will my child be able to sit next to Santa?
- No. In order for us to comply with social distancing it will unfortunately not be possible for children to sit next to Santa. Instead there will be a marked space on the floor for children to sit and talk to Santa. Should you wish to take a photo of your child/children with Santa then we ask they stay on these marked spots and you take a photo with your child/children in the foreground and Santa in the background.
I want to have the pizza and gin offer after the tour. How does this work?
- When purchasing your ticket please choose the relevant option for your party for the pizza and drinks after the tour (please note the prices listed are per person so for 2 adults and 2 children you need to book 2 adult pizzas and 2 children pizzas). Once we’ve received confirmation of your ticket purchase we will then email you separately with details on your time slot for the Christmas Cabins. You will be allocated an hour to enjoy your pizza and drinks before we ask you to depart. It is important that people leave their Christmas Cabins on time so we have enough time to fully clean the area before the next party arrives. When you arrive in your Christmas Cabins you will be met by a Sloane gin representative and they will take your pizza order. You can have up to 2 toppings on your pizza and Gluten or Dairy free options will be available.
I want to experience the other festive activities on site, am I able to do this?
- Yes. You are welcome to arrive earlier or go after your tour to enjoy the other festive activities on site. Please note that the Ice Walk does require pre-booking online and you will not be able to pay on the night to do this.
You will also be asked to agree to the following terms and conditions when booking:
- I have read and understand the additional information provided when booking (this information is also printed on your e-ticket).
- I confirm that I/we will not attend if we have had contact with any person who has tested for an infection with Covid-19 (Coronavirus) in the last 14 days.
- I confirm that I/We will not attend if presenting any symptoms of illness (including but not limited to cough, sniffles, sore throat or fever) in the last 14 days. Temperature checks may be required before entry is allowed.
- I confirm that I agree to abide by all rules whilst on site including following one way systems, maintaining social distancing, washing hands and following the instructions of staff.
- I confirm that I understand some elements of the visit may have to be altered at short notice to ensure safety of staff and visitors.