Get your Key to the Castle!
If you live or work in Cardiff you can apply for a Castle Key which gives you FREE admission to this world-class heritage attraction for 3 years.
There is an administration charge of £5 per Castle Key card issued.
There is no charge for children (under 16)
The Cardiff Castle Key gives you the following benefits:
- A selection of lavishly decorated rooms in the Castle Apartments
- The Norman Keep
- Battlement Walk
- Wartime Shelters
- Firing Line: Cardiff Castle Museum of the Welsh Soldier
- Interpretation Centre, including film and audio guide
- Cardiff Castle Grounds
- Special discounts for a selection of Castle events
- 10% discount in the Cardiff Castle Gift Shop
- 10% discount in Caffi’r Castell
- 10% discount off Castle Admission if you bring your friends and family with you
- Keyholder loyalty events
What to do next
All you have to do is come to the Cardiff Castle Ticket Office with proof that you live at a Cardiff address (eg: a council tax or utility bill) or a letter from your employer to say you work in Cardiff and we will do the rest.
Your Castle Key card with photo ID will be issued there and then.
There is no need for you to bring a photo with you
Frequently Asked Questions
- Your Castle Key card will be valid for 3 years.
- Every person will need to have a Castle Key card except children under 5
- If you work in Cardiff everyone in your household (at the same address) can also apply for a Castle Key card.
- One example of ID from a single household covers children over the age of 5.
- One form of ID per adult will have to be shown.
- Cardiff is defined as Cardiff Unitary Authority. The Castle Key scheme applies to residents of Cardiff and people who work in the city only. The scheme does not cover residents who live in the Vale of Glamorgan. People living outside Cardiff Unitary Authority may wish to join the Cardiff Castle Season Ticket scheme.
Collect your Castle Key Today - It’s Yours to Keep
The Cardiff Castle Ticket Office is open 7 days a week, all year (apart from 25, 26 December and 1 January)
9am – 5pm (March – October); 9am – 4pm (November – February)
Terms and conditions
- Castle Key Card is not valid for some special event days, evening ticketed events, or if the Castle has been hired by a third party
- Castle Key Card must be presented on day of visit
- Castle Key Card must not be re-sold
- Castle Key Card cannot be transferred or exchanged
- Castle Key Card has no monetary value
- Valid for 3 years
- Castle Key Cards will be checked on entry and right of admission is reserved
- There will be a small administration charge for replacing lost or damaged cards
For more information on the Cardiff Castle Key call 029 2087 8100