What are you looking for?
GET YOUR VERY OWN CASTLE KEY
If you currently live or work in Cardiff then you are entitled to your very own Key to the Castle with FREE admission to this world-class heritage attraction for 3 years.
In September 1947, the Fifth Marquess of Bute handed over the keys of Cardiff Castle to Lord Mayor, Alderman George Ferguson. In what was described as “a gesture of truly royal nature” the Castle, along with its parkland, was presented as a gift to the people of the city. As reports at the time reflected, it was “no longer Cardiff Castle but Cardiff’s Castle”.
Today the castle is one of the city’s premier tourist attractions, visited by thousands of people each year, but we still want local residents to come and enjoy their castle as much as they can.
- Enjoy free entry to Cardiff Castle for 3 years.
- A number of other special discounts.
- One off admin charge of £7.00 per adult card issued.
- No charge for Keys issued to children (under 16s).
Castle Key holder benefits include...
- The Norman Keep
- Castle Apartments
- The Trebuchet
- Firing Line Museum
- Roman Chariot Corner
- Roman Walls
- Wartime Shelters
- Battlement Walk
- A selection of Castle events
- 10% discount in the Cardiff Castle Gift Shop
- 10% discount on Castle admission if you bring your friends and family with you
- Keyholder loyalty events
Collect your Castle Key Today – It’s Yours to Keep!
All you have to do is come to the Cardiff Castle Ticket Office with proof that you live at a Cardiff address (eg: a council tax or utility bill) or a letter from your employer to say you work in Cardiff and we will do the rest. Your Castle Key card with photo ID will be issued there and then, you don’t even need to bring a photo with you.
How long is my Castle Key valid for?
- Your Castle Key card will be valid for 3 years.
Do I only need one Castle Key for the whole family?
- Every person will need to have a Castle Key card except children under 5
What if I work in Cardiff but my family don’t?
- If you work in Cardiff everyone in your household (at the same address) can also apply for a Castle Key card.
Will we need to show seperate forms of ID?
- One form of ID per adult will have to be shown.
What if my children don’t have proof of ID?
- One example of ID from a single household covers children over the age of 5.
What do you define as living or working in Cardiff?
- Cardiff is defined as Cardiff Unitary Authority. The Castle Key scheme only applies to residents of Cardiff and people who work in the city, the scheme does not cover residents who live in the Vale of Glamorgan. People not eligible for a Castle Key may wish to purchase an Annual Pass.
- Castle Key Card is not valid for some special event days, evening ticketed events, or if the Castle has been hired by a third party.
- Castle Key Card must be presented on day of visit.
- Castle Key Card must not be re-sold.
- Castle Key Card cannot be transferred or exchanged.
- Castle Key Card has no monetary value.
- Valid for 3 years.
- Castle Key Cards will be checked on entry and right of admission is reserved.
- Lost or damaged Castle Keys must be replaced with a new card, at a cost of £7.00, valid for a further 3 years.