The Roman Wall

For nearly 900 years, Cardiff Castle’s Roman past remained hidden and forgotten and was only discovered in 1888 when the 3rd Marquess of Bute decided to build a new tower and his workmen discovered the remains of  the Roman fort. Archaeological excavations indicate that this was the first of four forts, each a different size, that occupied the present site.  Remains of the Roman Wall can be seen today in the Interpretation Centre.