Following a tour of the Castle and a visit to see the fairy tale frieze in the Nursery, children will create their own version of one of the fairy tales which will then be recorded. An edited version, with musical interludes, will subsequently be sent to the school.
The workshop will last for 60 minutes. The guided tour takes approximately 50 minutes though those with very young children sometimes choose a shorter option (approx 30 mins) which omits the spiral staircase in one of the towers.
By the end of the session, your pupils will have:
- Learnt how to use mime, facial expressions and movement to portray different characters.
- Learnt how to use facial expressions to convey emotions.
- Learnt about the plot outlines of various well-known fairy tales.
- Learnt about the main characters within that fairy tale.
- Learnt how to use interesting vocabulary to describe the events of the fairy tale.
- Learnt how to change details of the tale whilst keeping the plot the same.
- Learnt how to speak clearly using a microphone and how to use appropriate expression.
- Learnt how to take it in turns and work as a team.
Language Literacy and Communication (Wales)
- Expressing ourselves through language is key to communication.
- Enquiry, exploration, and investigation inspire curiosity about the world, it’s past, present, and future.
- Events and human experiences are complex and are perceived, interpreted, and represented in different ways.
Key Stage 1 & 2 (England)
- English – Spoken Language.
What Else is Included in Your Visit
- A guided tour of Castle. The guided tour of the House will take children to some of the highly-decorated rooms that date from the Victorian period. The designs reflect the architect’s vision of how the interior of a medieval Castle would have been. The Nursery has a tiled frieze of fairy tales and lanterns depicting nursery rhymes.
- Use of the Audio Guide for the Grounds which is written especially for children. This can be downloaded in advance.
- A Visit to Firing Line – Museum of the Welsh Soldier (Military Museum in the Interpretation Centre). Please note: Firing Line is independently managed and any activities offered are not a part of Cardiff Castle’s Education Service. Visits may not be possible on certain days, or may incur an additional charge.
029 2087 8110
Enquiry: Fairy Tales
Please let our Education Office know if you have any questions about the Fairy Tales workshop.