Following a tour of the Castle, pupils will be told one of the stories at the start of their workshop and will then act out the story to music using movement, speech and mime.
The workshop will last for 70 minutes. The guided tour takes approximately 50 minutes though those with very young children sometimes choose a shorter option (approx. 30 mins) which omits the spiral staircase in one of the towers.
By the end of the session, your pupils will have:
- Learnt how to use mime, facial expressions and movement to portray different characters and emotions.
- Learnt about the plot outline and characters of the chosen well-known Welsh Legends.
- Learnt about the impact of the storyline on the characters’ actions and emotions.
- Learnt to perform an interpretation of the story to music using movement, mime and dialogue.
- Learnt about the impact of emotions upon the characters’ actions.
- Learnt how to take it in turns and work as a team.
- Exploring the expressive arts.
- Developing the disciplines of dance, drama and music.
Languages, Literacy and Communication
- Literature fires imagination and inspires creativity.
Key Stage 1 & 2 (England)
- Physical Education – Performing dances using a range of movement patterns.
- Creative Development.
- English – Spoken Language.
What Else is Included in Your Visit
- Guided Tour of Castle. A guided tour of the House will take children to some of the highly decorated rooms that date from the Victorian period. The designs reflect the architect’s vision of how the interior of a medieval Castle would have been. The Banqueting Hall has references to the story of Gelert and the Mabinogion in the wall carvings.
- Use of the Audio Guide for the Grounds which is written especially for children.
- Access to all areas of the Grounds including the Keep, the Battlements and Wartime Shelters.
- A Visit to Firing Line – Museum of the Welsh Soldier (Military Museum in the Interpretation Centre). Please note: Firing Line is independently managed, and any activities offered are not a part of Cardiff Castle’s Education Service. Visits may not be possible on certain days or may incur an additional charge.
029 2087 8110
Enquiry: An Audience with Queen Victoria
Please let our Education Office know if you have any questions about the An Audience with Queen Victoria workshop.